Wednesday 10 December 2014

Practical Research Ideas - Modality, Worldizing and Layering

 While working on the Concept Development Document for the up-coming hand-in I have introduced three concepts about film sound design that I have been of a big interest to me and in the document I expressed that I will be approaching those concepts in greater detail during the Practical Research part of the Dissertation in semester 2. 

 I have some experience with worldizing, as I used that technique to rerecord a music track playing through an old radio in a room, to capture a reverberant version of the track. I have tried using a convolution reverb plug-in for this task, but for some reason the director didn't like the plug-in sound, with the comment being that it sounds too much like a score, and here the track was meant to be diegetic - some music playing in the back of a cafe from an old stereo. This will be interesting to explore in more detail and take it out into the field to capture and compare the results.

 Layering is a fundamental principle of cinematic sound design, and I have used this technique in all of my films that I worked as a sound designer/editor. I have used it mostly for sound effects like punches, gun-shots, explosions etc. and the idea here is that the authentic recordings of those sounds simply don't have the 'weight' and 'impact' of what are now considered cinematic Hollywood standards in film sound design. Again, layering will be explored in great detail in Practical Research part of the Project.

 Modality is a concept I have got least experience with. Before I even knew about this sound design principle I was designing dynamic ambiences and to some extent modality can apply to that. I am particularly interested in interplay between high and low modality, which can greatly enhance the dynamics of the soundtrack, which in turn should make the film more enjoyable for the viewer. I will be exploring the idea of sound modality as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment